The incorporated town of Blackburn, Oklahoma, is located in Pawnee County on Blackburn Road, halfway between county roads E0440 and E0450. Approximately twelve miles east of the county seat of Pawnee, the community developed after the Cherokee Outlet land opening on September 16, 1893.
Named for Kentucky Sen. Joseph C. S. Blackburn, a post office was established on December 15, 1893. Positioned on the south side and at a natural ford of the Arkansas River, a toll bridge, a wagon bridge, and a ferry at various times connected Blackburn, Oklahoma Territory (O.T.), with the Osage Nation to the north. During the territorial era before 1907 statehood, Blackburn was one of the whiskey towns in O.T. that bordered the "dry" Indian Territory.
The town was incorporated on April 21, 1909.
Linda D. Wilson
© Oklahoma Historical Society